Monday, December 26, 2011

Rip VanWinkle

For the twenty-three or so years I've owned my '28 coupe I've kept to myself. I've driven and repaired the car with the assistance of either advice from either my dad or reference to the one Model A book I own. That's been fine in that I've kept the car in running order and enjoyed the challenges this quirky machine has presented over those 20,000 miles. However, recently I was reading a blog written by a young man in Michigan. He committed to drive his Model A as his only car for an entire year and wrote daily about the experience. It's a fantastic read. I've followed with great interest his every move.
http://www.365daysofa.com/
In the process I realized how much I don't know about my car after over two decades. As I read I found myself paying particular attention to the entries related to maintenance and repair. I realized I really want to find a network of A-owners who can provide some additional knowledge of these cars. I have my prejudices when it comes to car club members.  I don't want my cars to compare unfavorably with those that have benefitted from expensive restorations or modifications. I would like to meet some folks who regularly use there cars and especially those who work on them themselves. So, as soon as I get the chance I think I'll drop in on some of the local A-club meets and see what I can see.
I feel a little like Rip VanWinkle coming out of the Catskill mountains after a 20 year sleep. Hope the reality live up to the dreams I've enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment