Friday, May 4, 2012

Turning a Corner

Maybe there are times when it is a good thing to be crazy. I know I said I'd reached my limit with the '31, but today I went out to the garage to tinker some more. In the process I noticed a drain plug on the top of the steering box. I removed it and shone a light in. The box was dry as an Egyptian tomb. I grabbed some gear oil and poured it in. Immediately the steering, except for the slop, was completely free. On the test drive I could easily make every corner with just light finger pressure on the wheel. It's like driving a completely different vehicle. While I'd like to take the slop out of the steering completely, I could happily drive the car "as is" for years. Looks like we've turned the corner on this car and nearly have a reliable daily driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment