Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Registered Outlaws

This is a little update on the quest to register the '31 in California.

Today I finally completed the process. I've gotten my plates, and registration stickers.
Here's what the steps were, in case someone else wants to learn by reading rather than doing.

If you are registering a Model A pickup in California from out of state:
You may get through easily if the VIN on the registration and title matches the engine number. If not, you will be referred to the CHP. A DMV inspector will look at the vehicle and your paperwork to determine if they match.

The CHP requires that you show up in person to make an appointment for a vehicle inspection. You must have a valid drivers license and the referral from the DMV with you, so there is apparently no way to skip the initial DMV visit. When you show up for the CHP vehicle inspection and to receive your new VIN the officer simply looks at the car, determines there is no existing VIN, and attaches a new number plate to the inside of the driver's side door frame. Pretty straight forward.

Since in California all pickups are commercial vehicles, you have to have a weigh certificate. I got mine at the dump. The guy at the dump looked for a VIN and matching number in my CHP paperwork. I got a receipt with the tare for the vehicle and that was enough for the DMV. I didn't have to go to a DMV approved weigh station.

At the final appointment with the DMV I had to have their initial paperwork, the CHP paperwork, and the weigh certificate. They then issued me my plates and numbers. I'd actually purchased special plates which I picked up on my initial visit. They did not ask about proof of insurance.

All in all it took several days, three trips to the DMV (though you could do it in two), two trips to the dump (only one was necessary) and two trips to the CHP.

One additional tidbit. While at the CHP I asked what the rules were for children riding in my Model A. The officer said that all the rules applied to my car. If it didn't have seat belts and thus couldn't accommodate a car seat or booster then the child could not ride in my car at all until they were 8 years old. So it looks like Noah and I will be outlaws until he turns eight.

No comments:

Post a Comment